![]() |
I was looking for a one pot
wonder, smacking of flavor and richness, stick to the ribs deliciousness and
only a loaf of crusty bread to soak it all up.
There was a time when I could
not look at a stew with any anticipation.
Some years ago commuting to
our weekend get away in farm country Ct. we vowed never to eat beef stew again.
On the weekend dinner party circuit, it seemed that everyone used the same food
caterer. The go-to-dish was Boeuf Bourguignon. Accompanied by either noodles or
rice and toss salad. It became a private joke between me and my husband as we
got into the car and started the engine. We would look at each other and say, I
hope it’s not BB. So I’ve been on beef stew hiatus for a long time. When
recently I came across this recipe for Lamb Daube. Daube is a classic French
Provencal stew braised in wine, with vegetables, garlic and herbs de Provence ( herbs typically used in Provence).
Daube with lamb is traditionally made with white wine. This recipe uses red
wine. There is a special covered pot called a Daubiere. Shaped to make sure
that condensation builds up and no evaporation occurs, ensuring that everything
stays moist. FYI, everything did stay moist without the Daubiere. Similar to
stew, but not BB, I decided this sounded like a wonderfully fragrant, easy to
assemble, dish with a twist. Lamb instead of beef. Also, like a stew, it could
be prepared ahead and left on it’s own to braise in the oven. Never mind
marinating overnight. This wonderful dish gains flavor from reheating.
Lamb Daube Recipe:
Adapted from Tasting Table
Chefs’ Recipes
Serves 6
Cooking Time: 3 ½ hours
12 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
5 fennel seeds
3 coriander seeds
2 sprigs fresh thyme
5 parsley stems
1 orange peel
3 pounds lamb shoulder,
trimmed and cut into 1 ½ -inch cubes
salt and freshly ground black
pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin
olive oil
¼ pound slab bacon, cut into
1-inch pieces
( I used pancetta because I
had it in the frig)
1 medium yellow onion, halved
and sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly
sliced
3 medium carrots, cut into
2-inch pieces
3 stalks of celery, cut into
2-inch pieces
2 tablepoons all-purpose
flour
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 ½ cups full-bodied red
wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon ( I used a Beaune)
2 ½ cups vegetable stock
One 28-ounce can diced
tomatoes
1 baguette
Preheat the oven to 325
degrees F.
In a piece of cheesecloth,
combine the peppercorns, bay leaf, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, thyme,
parsley stems and orange peel. Gather and tie together with twine. Set aside.
Season the lamb with salt and
pepper. In a large Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil.
Add the lamb pieces, half at a time and
brown on all sides, about 7 minutes. Place the browned lamb pieces aside and
brown the remaining lamb. Set aside and cover with foil.
Add the bacon to the pot and
cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the sliced onion, garlic, carrot and
celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
Add the flour and cook,
stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1
minute longer. Add the wine, vegetable stock, tomatoes and the reserved lamb.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the cheesecloth bundle and bring the
mixture to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer, cover and place in the oven. Cook for 2
½ hours. Remove the lid and continue cooking, uncovered. Cook until the meat is
very tender and the liquid has reduced slightly, about 45 minutes longer.
Remove the pot from the oven, discard the cheesecloth bundle. Serve from the
pot with crusty baguette slices.








0 comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks, I'm excited to get your comment and will respond shortly.