Saturday

Something for Everyone; A Summer Buffet






Sometimes, it’s ok to please everyone… 
I like to cook up a variety of dishes that don’t necessarily come from the same cuisine. As long as they are delicious, no one will report you to the entertaining police.
So when I had some hard to cook for guests I decided to go with the flow. Some didn’t eat tomatoes, cooked or plain, no lamb, no vegetables, no dry wine and on it went. This was family on my husband’s side. They are hearty eaters and that pleases me, but picky. I set out the entire buffet so that everyone could graze on what they liked and enjoy conversations.

Here are the journal pages from my Summer Buffet:


Something for everyone included various no nonsense nibbles-
A Chipotle dip that's smokey and hot -spicey, with tortilla chips for dipping.
Guacamole, made with avacados, tomato, onion, jalepeno pepper, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper and lime juice. Puree all the ingredients in a food processor to desired chunkiness or smooth.


The entertaining is very casual. Just pile the food onto various platters, whatever you have can be mixed and matched. Garnish with various herbs or leaves for a completed, appetizing appeal.
I used a grape-leaf motif tablecloth on one buffet table. Scattering grapes leaves from the garden extended the motif. You can use whatever you grow, or if you choose to buy at your local market. A sprig here, there.
On this table, A pork roast that I flavored in a teryiaki marinade and served with fig preserves. A sliced sirloin marinaded in a soy and honey combination and grilled.

Grilled spiced yogurt marinated chicken kabobs. A platter of vegetable kebabs in a Greek marinade. Eggplant, zucchini, red, orange and yellow peppers, cherry tomatoes. All locally grown.

And not to leave any summer vegetable out- Summer Corn Pudding with cherry tomatoes.

And for the macroni salad lovers, a salad of macaroni with peas and ham.
Completed with a row of nasturtium down the center.


A baked garlic and lemon zest baguette to accompany all dishes.
Something for everyone dessert: Blueberry pie for berry lovers, brownies for chocolate lovers and ice-cream in four flavors.

I like to cook dishes that can be prepared ahead as well as served room temperature. Listed are dishes that can be made a day before:

Chipotle Dip
Marinades for meats and chicken
Cut up and marinade vegetables
Macaroni salad
Summer corn salad
Blueberry pie
Brownies

The steak, pork, chicken and vegetable kabobs should be grilled an hour ahead and kept warm.

Set the table for the buffet, and arrange platters to hold food the day before.

Everything should go well, since you prepared ahead.

Now I need to share what's been going on in my garden. Take a look.







HAPPY SUNFLOWERS TO EVERYONE.


Till next week.  As Always,


xxoo Sheila 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks, I'm excited to get your comment and will respond shortly.