Before I get to my Entertaining Post, An Indian Curry Dinner, I will share some of my latest thoughts and excitement about this Spring season!
I get so wrapped up in nature and gardening- all things that come with the arrival of Spring!
MUSINGS ON NATURE....
On this occasion, Bluebirds!
I was wondering what all the
fuss was about.
The arrival of the bluebirds.
The arrival of the bluebirds.
What is it about this
species that excites the birder and nature lover. And so, I asked Kent.
Kent is our resident bird and
animal expert. He is my son.
The answer, as Kent told me,
as though anyone would know… It’s all about the color and the song.
The bluebird in danger of
extinction not long ago, is one of the most beautiful colored of birds and has
the sweetest song.
They like to take up
residence in a bluebird house, with open space. Away from heavy cover, they can
forage for insects for their babies and for their nestings, right off the
ground. Unlike the sparrow or wren, who
don’t mind being on top of one another and can nest closer together.
Now, onto last night's trip-
It's not likely that I am going to India, or Burma right now, so the next best thing is to have an Indian themed dinner party. That’s what this post is about.
THE TABLE SETTING...
With an Indian palette in
mind, I set off to my cupboards to look for goodies. First, I needed a fabric
to establish a color. Happily, I found it in the orange silk organdy runner.
From there I laid out my Florentine wooden charges that have an ornate gold leaf pattern. Gold trimmed rust colored Dransfield and Ross napkins. Yellow plates hit the right spot for the main course.
![]() |
| Orange runner, wooden charges, yellow plates and goblets. |
From there I laid out my Florentine wooden charges that have an ornate gold leaf pattern. Gold trimmed rust colored Dransfield and Ross napkins. Yellow plates hit the right spot for the main course.
For my red lentil soup course, just a taste was just enough.
So out came the little brown glazed tea cups set on top of a small decorative saucer taken from an espresso set in my cabinet. Perfect.
| tea cups for the soup... just a taste |
Next the goblets... it just
happens that this color palatte called for the yellow wine glass(seen in the first table setting photo above)!
I already knew what flowers
were needed. Something in orange and red with one banana-like- leaf.
My cranberry candles that I used at my last dinner party
also fit into the mix very nicely.
My cranberry candles that I used at my last dinner party
also fit into the mix very nicely.
![]() |
![]() |
We started with hors d'ouevres in the living room...
| Silky Burmese-Style Eggplant Served with Toasted Pita Chips The ingredients included Asian eggplant, egg, red chili, mint, cilantro, and lemon zest |
| Smoked Salmon Dip is made with Plain Yogurt, Creme Fraiche and Prepared White Horseradish The chives are from my herb garden! Bagel Chips for the dip |
| Panelle, Chick-Pea Fritters Recipe comes from Sicily |
| I used this Pewter Pitcher to pour the soup at table |
| The Red Lentil Soup, served as a first course at the table... with a dollop of plain yogurt |
| Main course: Lamb Curry, Spicy Coconut Rice, Carrot Raita, Naan Bread |
![]() |
| Pappadams, an Indian Lentil wafer that's deep-fried, light and puffy |
| Sweet Potato with Toasted Cocnut, a traditional thick curry Commonly served as part of a South Indian feast called a Sadhy Believe it or not, I forgot to serve it. Darn. It happens! |
For dessert...
Grilled Cardamom-Scented Pineapple with
Vanilla Ice Cream
Lamb Curry Recipe
My recipe
Serves 8
3 1/2 pounds boneless lamb
shoulder cut in 3/4 –inch cubes
6 tablespoons Ghee ( Indian
clarified butter)
or 6 tablespoons vegetable
oil
2 cups sliced onion
2 tablespoons grated ginger
3 teaspoons grated garlic
3 teaspoons turmeric powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
seeds
2 tablespoons salt
½ teaspoon ground dried chili
peppers
6 whole cloves 2 pinches
saffron threads
10 black peppercorns
1 2-inch long cinnamon stick
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream
Heat the ghee or oil in a
heavy-bottomed Dutch oven. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin,
coriander, salt, and chili peppers. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes,
stirring frequently. Add the meat and half the saffron; cook until meat browns.
Add the broth, the nutmeg, the cinnamon stick and the peppercorns. Cover the
pot and cook over low heat for 1 hour or until the lamb is fork tender. Stir in
the cream and the remaining saffron.
May be prepared ahead and reheated before
serving.
![]() |
| Morning after, clean up duty. |
I hope you enjoyed my trip. Until next week,
As Always,
xxoo Sheila






As one of the guests at his wonderful dinner, everything was beautiful and delicious...even the missed sweet potato curry
ReplyDeleteDonald Landsman
Wow! Youdid all that AND managed to post on time so that all of us could enjoy vicariously! Proving what a superamazing person you are, in case anyone had any doubt! Yum!
ReplyDelete