![]() |
| Photo of Venice by Onofrio Paccione hangs in our dining room. |
I imagine the fog lifting
over the canals. The painted shutters framing the windows on the ancient faded,
orange, and pink stucco architecture.
The scene looks like a mirage, a ghost of a city from a very long time ago. As I get closer , as the boat drifts nearer,
the city suddenly comes to life. I am an eager visitor, ready to be let in. I
wonder what is going on inside the palazzo’s, the shops, the wine bars. Who are
these Venetian people . I imagine that I
live here, giving a dinner party.
I am under the spell of this
city. I walk to the market to shop for ingredients, looking and going in and out of each stall.
Elegant, fashionable,
mysterious. Venice is a stage, an opera and a carnivale day in and day out. The
people, the actors dressed in voluptuous draped and pleated silk fabrics,
embroidered passementerie (elaborate trimmings).
I created a dinner, themed Sheila’s Venetian Room and I invited friends to Venice for dinner. I played the Dogaressa.
A perfect theme for
entertaining . As a joke, I made up a the bill that was given to one of my guests at the closing of the meal.
![]() |
| Here's the bill that I presented ( as a joke) at the closing of the meal. It was presented in an American Express bill holder- one you would receive at a restaurant. |
The menu for the evening was entered in my journal,
as seen below.
as seen below.
![]() |
| Journal page from 1990. Note the Harry's Bar Martini pitcher. |
The Menu:
Hors D'oeuvres:
Nuts, Olives
Wild Mushroom Tart
Martinis
First Course:
Paglia e Fieno
Main Course:
Sogliole in Saor
(marinated fried sole Venetian style)
(marinated fried sole Venetian style)
Potate Arrost Al Limone e Rosemarino
Dessert:
Zabaglione Fragole
Biscotti
Recipes:
Sogliole in Saor
Marinated
Fried Sole Venetian Style
2 lbs
Sole fillets cut into pieces
2 by 4 inches
For the marinade:
2 by 4 inches
For the marinade:
4 large
eggs
¼ cup
milk
pinch of
salt
For the sauce:
For the sauce:
1 large
onion finely chopped
½ cup
extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons sweet butter
4 bay
leaves
10 whole black peppercorns
10 whole black peppercorns
½ cup
white wine vinegar
1 cup
water
salt and freshly ground black pepper
salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup
raisins
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
For the fish:
For the fish:
1 cup bread crumbs
1 quart vegetable oil
4 tablespoons sweet butter
1 quart vegetable oil
4 tablespoons sweet butter
Cut the
sole fillets into pieces, 3 by 4 inches.
Lightly
beat the eggs, mix in the milk and the salt. Add the fish pieces and mix well. Let
the fish marinate for 1 hour.
Prepare
the sauce:
Heat the butter and the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
Heat the butter and the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
Saute the
onion over low heat until they are translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the peppercorns, bay leaves and wine vinegar to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the water and simmer for 30 minutes. Keep the sauce warm while cooking the fish.
Finely chop the parsley and garlic together. Soak the raisins in a bowl of lukewarm water for 15 minutes.
Add the peppercorns, bay leaves and wine vinegar to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the water and simmer for 30 minutes. Keep the sauce warm while cooking the fish.
Finely chop the parsley and garlic together. Soak the raisins in a bowl of lukewarm water for 15 minutes.
In a deep fryer or heavy deep pan, heat the
oil with the butter to about 375 degrees F.
Remove the fish pieces from the marinade and one at a time bread them on both sides, pressing the bread crumbs to adhere. Fry several pieces quickly in the hot oil, turning them over once. Drain well and place the fillet pieces on a serving platter and sprinkle with the chopped ingredients.
Drain the raisins, pat them dry with paper towels and spread them all over the fish along with the pine nuts.
Remove the fish pieces from the marinade and one at a time bread them on both sides, pressing the bread crumbs to adhere. Fry several pieces quickly in the hot oil, turning them over once. Drain well and place the fillet pieces on a serving platter and sprinkle with the chopped ingredients.
Drain the raisins, pat them dry with paper towels and spread them all over the fish along with the pine nuts.
Pour the
reduced hot sauce over the fish. Cover with aluminum foil and allow the fish to stand for at least one hour before
serving.
I obviously love travel, whether vicarious or real. I am excited about experiencing the cuisines of different cultures. By creating some of my dinner themes as cuisines of different places, it lets me look forward to an exciting new journey and I invite my friends to come along.
I would love for any of you to write me about having dinner in someone's home in a different country, and share the adventure and experience so that I can share it with all of you who read my blog.



0 comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks, I'm excited to get your comment and will respond shortly.